2018 National WHEP Competition
July 22-25, 2018
Acadia National Park
Winter Harbor, Maine
Contest Ecoregion: Northeast Mixed Forest
What is WHEP?
The WHEP (National Wildlife Habitat Education Program) is a hands-on environmental education program. WHEP also provides participants an opportunity to test their wildlife knowledge in a friendly competition, as each state supporting WHEP conducts an annual contest where teams of 3-4 similarly aged individuals gather. The winning senior (14-19 years of age) WHEP team from each state earns the right to attend the annual National WHEP Contest, typically held the last full week of July.The national contest moves to a different state each year.
What do Participants Study?
- Learn wildlife terms and concept
- Learn about wildlife habitat
- Learn how to judge the quality of wildlife habitat
- Learn about wildlife habitat management practices
- Learn about wildlife damage management